|Posted by [email protected] on March 24, 2015 at 10:20 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting Minutes 3/24
Bowling for Books: Sunday, March 29 • Pinz, 1-3pm • Please bring $15 Cash and feel free to bring a new or gently used book(s) (Optional) • Proceeds go to Kalamazoo Drop-In Childcare Center
Scoops for Smiles: Tuesday, April 14 • Coldstone Creamery located on West Main near Main Street Pub • 5-8 pm • Come out for ice cream to help send a young boy to Camp Shout Out!
Final Bake Sale: Thursday, April 16 11-4pm • Will need bakers and volunteers to work the tables • Locations in CHHS and Clinic • Proceeds go to Bay Cliff Health Camp
E-Board Elections Sunday, April 12 • 5:00 pm 157 BHC • Positions available: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Historian, Volunteer Chair, Fundraising Chair, Public Relations Chair, Events Chair, and Scholarship Chair • For those interested: Submit a short paragraph stating the position you are running for and why you would like the position. Submit your essay regarding your position of interest to [email protected] by APRIL 10 to be considered. The current E-Board will review the paragraphs and announce the new E-Board on Sunday at the meeting. Be sure to attend if you want to claim your E-Board Position.
Spring Banquet Friday, April 10 at 6 pm in North Ballroom at BHC Outline of Banquet • 6-7 Drinks/activities • 7 Dinner served • 7:45 AACORN (picture presentation)/ Dr. Tyler Keynote Silent auction ends/announce winners Invite scholarship recipients Faculty awards • 8:30 Swing Dancing Lesson • 9-10 General dancing • 10-11 Clean up Other important info regarding banquet: • RSVP and pay $25 dollars by April 1st to Ashley Dahl – [email protected] • Feel free to bring family members and friends/significant others • Attire: Semi-Formal Dress • For those of you that are a part of a committee, please be sure to keep in contact with your group and follow up as needed! We appreciate this very much! Thank you so much for all of your hard work and effort devoted to NSSLHA throughout this school year! We were able to raise a great amount of money and donate to many different causes/organizations within the speech and language community! We look forward to selecting our new E-Board and continuing on with our successful registered student organization!
Have a great rest of the semester and we hope to see everyone at the Spring Banquet!
|Posted by [email protected] on February 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting Minutes 2.15.15
I would just like to give a huge thank you to Mary Connors from AACORN Farms that came out tonight to speak to us about the services they provide for adults with autism, as well as their goals for the future. We are pleased to be to have them as our guests of honor at our upcoming Spring Banquet! They will be hosting an event next October and we are planning on helping and contributing in any way possible!
Graduate School Open House- February 20 • 11:30-12 is set up, events begins at 12:30 • Volunteers please arrive at 12 • Volunteers are expected to help run the table and pass out IPA quizzes to guests
Bowling For Books- March 29 • Event will take place at Pinz Bowling Lanes from 1-3pm • The cost will be 15$ for two hours, NSSLHA will receive $7 of the $15 • We are asking all members to bring a book or two that they would be willing to donate to the Kalamazoo Drop-In Child Care Center • Please RSVP to Stephanie Orr by March 22
Scoops For Smiles- April 28 • We are inviting everyone to come out to Coldstone Creamery to raise money to help send a young boy to Camp Shout Out!
Psi Iota Xi- Blind Rehab Bingo • Looking for 1-2 volunteers for March 11 and April 8 to assist with blind rehab bingo parties • Contact Jazmin Rambeau if interested!
MSHA Conference March 26-28 • Radisson Hotel/Lansing Center • Basket donation: form due March 1st http://www.michiganspeechhearing.org/docs/Auction_Donation_Form_Rev..pdf • Student registration:
1. Must be MSHA member (http://www.michiganspeechhearing.org/ click join online- $30 for the year)
2. Register online: http://www.michiganspeechhearing.org/annual_conference.php Fill out BOTH Online Conference Registration form and Online Student Volunteer form • We will stay in Lansing on Wednesday and Thursday night and attend the conference Thursday and Friday. • Thursday morning 7:30-9:30 Breakfast Reception for Legislators, Clinicians and SLP Students
Bake Sale- April 16 • We will be setting up tables at both CHHS and clinic from 11-5 • We will need bakers and volunteers! Contact Elise Drager if interested! • All pans from our most recent bake sale will be available for pick up Tuesday after anatomy class! Alix will have all pans!
Virtual Advocacy Day • April 21st • Another opportunity for advocacy that Jill will post to Facebook (5 NSSLHA points): Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit Act Introduced in the Senate
Spring Banquet- April 10 6-10pm • Location: Bernhard Center, North Ballroom • Theme: Light It Up Blue, Kalamazoo • Cost: $25 for students/general, $30 for adults • We split up into each committee to discuss ideas and meeting times. Each committee leader will contact members. We will be creating Facebook groups for each committee. We look forward to seeing everyone at our next meeting, March 22 at 6pm. As always feel free to contact anyone on the E-Board with questions or concerns regarding any of our upcoming events! Stay warm everyone!
|Posted by [email protected] on January 26, 2015 at 10:20 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting 1.18.15Minutes
25 points are required per semester.
To be able to qualify for an E-Board position, you must have completed 25 points for both semesters.
5 points for meeting/events/advocacy day and 2 points for study sessions.
Events coming up this semester: Dates are still to be determined.
Psi Iota Xi: Blind Rehabilitation Bingo 2nd Wednesday of every month January-April 7:30-9 pm Only 1-2 volunteers needed per time
Winchell Elementary School Volunteer in the kindergarten classrooms helping children stay on task...Great opportunity! Email [email protected] if you are interested and she will give you more details and the teacher’s contact information!
Bake Sale Thursday, February 12th 11-4 at CHHS Atrium and Clinic Looking for volunteers to bake and work at the tables!
Study Sessions Alternating Monday and Wednesday beginning Monday February 26th at 6
Graduate School Open House Friday, February 20th Looking for volunteers to help sign students in, work tables, give tours and information about WMU!
Bowling For Books February 22, 1-3pm Pinz Bowling Lanes We encourage you to bring a book or two to donate! All proceeds go to Kalamazoo Drop-in Childcare Center!
Scoops for Smiles- Coldstone Fundraiser Tentative date: Tuesday March 24th Come out for ice cream, all proceeds go to helping a young boy attend Camp Shoutout this summer!
MSHA Conference March 26-28 Volunteer Opportunity Register to be a member of MSHA at michiganspeechhearing.org in advance! Contact [email protected] if you are interested in volunteering or attending!
Spring Banquet- This year we will be partnering with AACORN, a vocational and residential program for adults with autism! We are currently working on setting a specific date, time, and location. More information will follow! **This event is huge and will require a lot of preparation. We have decided to make this volunteer event MANDATORY and are requiring every NSSLHA member to take part in a committee. We have created a list of committees to choose from. Please contact [email protected] or [email protected] and let them know which committee you would like to be a part of or you will be assigned one!** Committees include: • Clean Up • Invitations/Publicity • Set Up/Decorations • Activities • Fundraising
We look forward to seeing everyone Sunday, February 15th for our next meeting!!
|Posted by [email protected] on November 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM||comments (0)|
11.9.14 Meeting Minutes
This will be our last meeting of the semester, but we have more opportunities to volunteer and participate next semester!
Thanks to Kirsten, our MSHA speaker who came in to inform us all about MSHA and how we can become more involved/volunteer!
For more info feel free to visit: michiganspeechhearing.org
Don’t forget about our study groups rotating every other Monday and Wednesday at 6 pm in the atrium at CHHS. 2 points earned for every session attended!
• NSSLHA GEAR- •If you would like to purchase extras, please let Alix or Jazmin know ASAP. We can put in another order as needed if we have enough people interested.
• NSSLHA Fleeces- $25.00 We will keep you updated on order forms and when orders we will place orders.
• POINTS: • There is still plenty of time to earn all of your NSSLHA points.
• Keep In Mind: To be considered for an e-board position next year, you need to obtain your full 25 points for both semesters.
• STEMULATING CAREERS: • January 17th: • 10 am-?? • Come check out and support our NSSLHA table! • Volunteers are currently all e-baord members, but if spots open up we will be sure to contact everyone!
• Psi Lota Xi VOLUNTEER EVENTS: • 2nd Wednesday of every month starting January 17th. • Great way to volunteer with blind/low vision individuals and earn points.
• MSHA Annual Conference: • March 26-28 • Thursday March 25 Legislative Break 7:30am-9:30 am • This event will take place at the Radisson Hotel in Lansing, MI
• BOWLING FOR BOOKS: • Late February/ Early March • Great way to earn points and get involved with NSSLHA • Bring books to donate to various locations in Kalamazoo • Details are to follow as the event gets closer.
Our minutes are always posted on our website and we encourage you to check it out! • nsslhawmu.webs
Hope everyone has a great rest of the semester! As always, feel free to e-mail me with any remaining questions! [email protected]
|Posted by [email protected] on October 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM||comments (0)|
New Study Session Schedule: WEEKLY. Alternating Wednesday and Monday each week. Beginning this Wednesday October 8th at 6pm in CHHS. Hope to see you there!!
Van Riper Lectures- Thursday and Friday Oct 9 and 10 You should have received an email from Stephanie if you have volunteered to work the booth. Make sure to be there on time. You can go in and watch the presentation during your shift but be sure to be at the booth during breaks and whenever the speaker is not presenting.
Health Literacy Day-October 22- Volunteer sheets are full. If you aren’t able to volunteer any longer, let us know ASAP. We need to have members that are fully committed in working the entire event. For those of you that are signed up to work the event, we will be getting together Monday October 20th at 6 to practice and rehearse what we will be doing. Be there at 11 am for set up.
Campus Classic- Oct 25 – 5k Run around campus homecoming weekend 5 faculty signed up…potential meeting before and walk together during 5 people per team 30 $ per team contact Anna if interested
Wednesday Oct 15 – Mixer at CHHS building 5 points for going Psi lota Xi 6:15-7:30pm room 4010. They are recruiting people for their chapter and speaking about upcoming events.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities:
Friendship Village – Tours available Tuesday October 7 at 2pm and Wednesday October 8th and 11pm. Email Joanna Pickar for more information regarding Friendship Village. Kalamazoo Project Connect- Expo Center October 15 12-4 Looking for volunteers to help with hearing screenings Center for Disabilities Services- If you are interested, the best way to start volunteering is to walk in and ask for a volunteer form at front desk.
Aacorn Farm- It is an agricultural community that helps and supports adults with Autism. Currently they are looking for speech and audiology student volunteers. E-mail JoJo at [email protected] with any questions or concerns you have regarding volunteering!
Bake Sale- Thursday October 30 11am-3pm at Sangren 11am-4pm at CHHS Most of you have already signed up if you are interested, be sure to be there on time. For those of you baking, try to have your baked goods at CHHS by 11am! Sign up if you are still interested in baking or working. 5 points for each and you can do both!!
SPPA Calendars- Ranging from $10-12 We are currently looking for NSSLHA members interested in becoming the Scholarship Chair on our e-board. E-mail Jazmin Rambeau if you are interested.
We look forward to seeing everyone at our next meeting, Sunday November 9th at 6pm!!
As always if there are any questions feel free to contact myself or any other E-Board members with questions, comments, or concerns!!
|Posted by [email protected] on September 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM||comments (0)|
9.14.14 NSSHLA MEETING MINUTES
Thank you to everyone who came out to the meeting tonight, we had a great turn out! Here are the upcoming events/important dates to keep in mind for the semester!
Reminder- Every member needs 25 points per semester. 5 points for meetings, 5 points for events, 5 points for advocacy day, 2 points per study session.
1. Don’t forget to turn in your 5$ NSSHLA dues to Jazmin Rambeau or Stacey Lewis. 2. T-shirt order forms and money are due September 22nd to Alix Neitzert or Anna Poggensee. The correct colors are attached. ( If you see another NSSHLA E-board member, feel free to pass your order form and money along to them as well.)
2. Charles Van Riper Lectures: October 9th and 10th Thursday- Check-in at 8:30, Lectures run 9-4:30 Friday- Check-in at 8:30, Lectures run 9-12:30 We received many people who were interested in working the NSSHLA booth that we will have set up at the lectures, we will be in touch with those of you as the lectures approach!
3. Health Literacy Day: Wednesday October 22nd The event runs from 12-2 pm. We are asking that if you work the event you show up at 11:30 and plan to stay until 2. *** If you volunteer to work this event, please be sure you are 100% committed.
4. Costume Party: Thursday October 23rd This is a tentative event that we still need to discuss and plan accordingly. We are hoping to allow children from the clinic to come dressed in their Halloween costumes from 6-7 in the atrium of CHHS. Details such as games, activities, food, and decorations will follow.
5. Campus Classic 5K: Saturday October 25th A fun way to get points and support NSSHLA!
6. Bake Sale: October 30th We will be holding a bake sale at CHHS from 11-3. We will need people to bake and work the sale!
7. We do have a NSSHLA website that we encourage you all to check out! Minutes from every meeting will be posted there as well! www.nsshlawmu.webs.com
8. We are in the process of setting up and providing everyone with more information about our upcoming volunteer opportunities at Friendship Village, Woodsedge, and Center for Disabilities Services. We will keep everyone posted!
9. We have a wonderful ongoing opportunity to work with a teenage boy that lives in Schoolcraft who uses an Ipad as an AAC device. Two volunteers are encouraged to see him twice a month for an hour or so to give him someone to hang out and talk with. It is a great opportunity to experience something new!
Just so everyone is familiar with our NSSHLA E-Board, I am providing the name, position, and e-mail of each member. Feel free to contact any of us with questions, comments, or concerns! We are looking forward to getting to know everyone in NSSHLA this semester!
Jazmin Rambeau- President [email protected]
Jill Walcott- Vice President [email protected]
Jaclyn Sierzenga- Secretary [email protected]
Elise Drager- Fundraiser Chair [email protected]
Joanna Pickar- Volunteer Chair [email protected]
Alix Neitzert- Public Relations Chair [email protected]
Stacey Lewis- Treasurer [email protected]
Ashley Dahl- Historian [email protected]
Hope everyone has a great week!!
|Posted by [email protected] on February 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM||comments (0)|
The day you've been waiting for has finally arrived- Golden Bronco Nominations are open! For those of you who don't know, Golden Broncos are SALP's way of recognizing outstanding student leaders, advisors and RSOs for all of the amazing things that you have accomplished this year!
Nominations can be submitted on SALP's GoRSO page; you'll find the nomination form under the 'Forms' tab on the left side of the page. Nominations are due by Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
Award Categories include:
Advisor of the Year
Student Leader of the Year
RSO/Agency of the Year
Best New RSO
RSO/Agency Most Committed to Diversity
Outstanding organization for community involvement
Outstanding student for community involvement
5 Star RSO
First Year Student Leader of the Year
RSO / Agency Anniversary Achievement
RSO/Agency Milestone Event
Scholarly Student Leader
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
ALSO- There will be a SOC Workshop on Event Planning tomorrow at 1 PM in the Bernhard Center's Student Organization Center; don't pass it up!
Graduate Assistant, Registered Student Organization Development
Student Activities & Leadership Programs
Western Michigan University
|Posted by [email protected] on February 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM||comments (0)|
I have another volunteer opportunity for whoever it up to it! My work is asking for a large number of us to volunteer at the "IronBAC". It is a triathlon that Bronson Athletic Club is running for people who are interested. They would like us to wear our NSSLHA gear and keep track of times for the athletes. It takes place on Saturday, March 22nd. I will have definite times for those planning on volunteering. This would be a great experience to socialize/network with people in the community and tell them what NSSLHA is all about!!!
email Katie Vincke if you are interested: [email protected]
|Posted by [email protected] on February 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM||comments (0)|
1. Bake Sale- THURSDAY from 11am-3pm! We could use bakers and more volunteers! Contact Joe for questions. If you are baking you can drop off your baked goods anytime between 10:45-3.
2. Spring Banquet- Friday, April 4th from 6-9pm (dinner at 7pm) so mark it in your calendars!! The cost will be $25 a person, $45 if you have a date. NOTE: THIS IS A SPEECH-PATHOLOGY AND AUDIOLOGY BANQUET HOSTED BY NSSLHA! (We want everyone to attend!) We need volunteers to help plan. Each committee will have an e-board head it. Committees include:
• Donation/raffle/gifts- Anna Larner
• Ticket sales/design/contact- Macey Nacarato
• Decorations/theme- Laura Chianakas
• General events- Hanna Laskey
If you can provide any help please contact an e-board member and we can direct you on how to help! The more volunteers we can get, the easier this event will be!
3. Psi Ota Psi- On Feb 19th, March 19th, and April 16th there is an opportunity for 3 volunteers for each date to attend blind bingo from7:15-9pm. If this is an opportunity you are interested in contact Joe! This is a great chance to get some experience to communicate with members of the community.
4. Graduate Open House- Febuary 21st. There is still room for a couple volunteers to provide help as needed. The time is from 11:30-3ish (time is flexible and depends on what they need). If you are available and want some volunteer hours contact Joe and he can give you more information.
|Posted by [email protected] on January 31, 2014 at 4:05 PM||comments (0)|
1) There will no longer be a study group at the library on Sundays. If someone wishes to organize a study group before any exams they can earn NSSLHA points for doing so.
2) Stephanie Palazzolo and Hillary Wiener are in the process of getting ear plugs out to some local bars.
3) We are still looking for a group of dedicated NSSLHA members to volunteer with a young man in Schoolcraft who uses an Ipad as an AAC device. Volunteers would meet the student at his home twice a month from 3:30 to 5:00. We are in the process of finding out the best days of the week that work for the family. If you are interested please contact Laura Chianakis (if you had signed up last meeting there is no need to contact Laura). She should be in touch with you all with more information within the next week or so.
4) We are still putting together plans for a bowling for books event in March.
5) Phonetics charts are still for sale with a reduced price of $3. Please get in touch with Anna Larner or Joe Kilpatrick if you are interested in purchasing a phonetics chart.
6) Volunteers are needed for the SPPA graduate open house on February the 21st. at least 5 volunteers would be good. Responsibilities include, going from 11am-4:30, 1) set up of room before noon, 2) registration & greeting until 12:45, 3) giving tours of CHHS & clinic (for which I'll train) around 2pm, or set up for food, 4) and clean up at 4pm. We need a group together soon in order to be properly trained for the event. Please let Joe know ASAP if you are interested in volunteering for this event so we can get a group together.
7) Our Scoops for Smiles fundraiser will be held this Wednesday the 29th at Cold Stone Creamery on West Main from 5 until 9. We receive 20% of the proceeds during this time. Proceeds will assist a young boy from St. Lucia in his travels for Cleft Lip and Cleft Alveolar surgery. We also have a table at Cold Stone during this time to collect donations, we could use a limited number of volunteers to sit at the table during the event. In addition to coming out to support a great cause we are also offering NSSLHA points: 10 for volunteers, 5 for anyone who purchases ice cream and 3 additional points if you bring a friend. If you are interested in volunteering contact Ashlyn Cox. Hope to see you all there!
Our next bake sale will be held on February 13th from 11 to 5. If you would like to volunteer to bake for the event or run the table for an hour please contact Joe. A sign-up sheet will also be around within the next few days.
9) The scholarship chair and WSA rep are open. We are looking for hard working committed NSSLHA members to fill these positions. It is a great opportunity for a first year student to get involved. If you would like more information on these positions or if you are interested please contact Joe ASAP.
10) The tentative date for the Spring banquet is April the 4th. We will need donations for the silent auction. If you are aware of any local business that would provide donations for this we could use them. We also still need to come up with a creative theme for the banquet. Last year’s speakeasy theme was a great success and we would love to come up with something equally as good this year. If you have creative ideas for a banquet theme please pass them along to a board member.
11) We discussed providing Kristina Ledlow with phonetics charts and NSSLHA information in order to branch out to incoming SPPA students.
12) Due to the weather we had a small turnout at the meeting. So we are looking to hold our next meeting sometime early in February.