|Posted by [email protected] on May 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting Minutes 4/17/16
• Banquet was a success! We raised approximately $800 and will be donating that money to various causes related to stuttering and other fluency disorders.
• Bake sale was cancelled last week. In its place we have scheduled a pizza fundraiser on Tuesday, April 26th from 6-8pm in the library. If you can stop by and help sell pizza for even a half hour, email [email protected] it will be a great study break!
• Coldstone update: We made $165 and will donate the money to the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission
• Bake sale update: We will donate the $200 raised between both bake sales to the NSSLHA loves fundraiser, Sertoma.
• Psi Iota Xi: Walk for better hearing coming up in May. Stay tuned!
• Tentative event: date will be around Memorial Day. Students will help wash windows while people get gas and proceeds will be donated to a scholarship fund for SLP students at WMU
• Elections: Congratulations to the 2016-2017 executive board!
o President: Chandler Hodgkin
o Vice President: Logan Vines
o Secretary: Jackie Dewaal
o Treasurer: Kelsey Gough
o Public relations chair: Carmen Wittkopp
o Events chair: Brittany Koptyra and Callan Chamberlin
o Fundraising chair: Dana Hammons
o Volunteer chair: Katie Schatz
o Scholarship chair: Nicole Satkowiak
o Historian: TBD
|Posted by [email protected] on April 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA MEEETING 3/20
• Tuesday, March 22 from 5-8PM is Scoops for Smiles at Coldstone Creamery on West Main. Drop by and grab some ice cream! A portion of the proceeds will be used to purchase books to be donated to a cause in the Kalamazoo community. Thank you to those who volunteered and hope to see everyone on Tuesday!
• Interested in attending MSHA? Sign up to volunteer and go for $25! Contact [email protected] to sign up for the car pool.
• Our last bake sale will be Thursday, April 14th at CHHS and the clinic from 11-3. Proceeds will be donated to help a community member purchase a bone conduction hearing aid. Interested in volunteering or baking, send an email to [email protected]
• Our next meeting will be Sunday, April 17th at 8PM
• SPRING BANQUET: Friday, April 8th from 5-8PM at Nico’s Landing. Student tickets are $25, turn your money into Allie Woodburne, Brianna Dragomer, or Anna Poggensee
o We broke off into committees, email the following people if you are interested in getting more involved with a committee: Set up/decorations [email protected], games/activities [email protected], and awards [email protected], clean up elise.m.harrig[email protected]
• Interested in being a part of the 2016-2017 NSSLHA Executive board? Send a paragraph (1 page or less) to [email protected] by April 16th about what position you are interested in, why you are interested in being a part of the executive board, and what you can bring to the team.
o Positions you can apply for are as follows:
• Public Relations
• Events Chair
• Volunteer Chair
• Scholarship Chair
|Posted by [email protected] on February 22, 2016 at 1:05 AM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting 2-21-16
• Guest speaker, Mrs. Rigley-Rowell, will raffle off a free MSHA conference registration and membership! The MSHA conference will be taking place on April 21st-23rd in Grand Rapids. The conference provides professional development opportunities, student round tables, praxis bowl, leadership forums, great lectures, and networking.
• Please pay $5 for spring semester dues if you have not done so already to Brianna Dragomer
•Update: We made $136 from our February 11th bake sale to donate to Sertoma. Thank you to everyone who worked the table and helped us by baking!
• Don’t forget about our study sessions Monday’s at 4:15.
• Mentoring program check in. Feel free to reach out to your mentor with any questions you may have. Contact Ashley Crossman if you are still interested in being a part of the mentoring program.
• Stay tuned for the date of our annual event with Coldstone Creamery, Scoops for Smiles. The money raised at this event will be used to buy books to donate to a service within the community in need.
• Bingo at Blind Rehab Center: Second Wednesday of each month (March 9th and April 13th) at 7:30PM. Contact Chandler Hodgkin if interested.
• Literacy Night: Wednesday, March 2nd from 5:30-7:00 at Spring Valley Elementary School. Contact Allie Woodburne if you are interested in attending.
• Banquet: Friday, April 8th. Location TBA. Keep your eyes out for email updates on committees
• Applications are open to volunteer at camp shout out this summer!
|Posted by [email protected] on January 24, 2016 at 9:50 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Minutes 1-24-16
• Mentor/mentee assignments coming this week
• Blaze fundraiser: We raised $90 and will be using it to buy a box of cleft-line bears!
• Dues are $5 and need to get to Brianna Dragomer as soon as possible.
• NSSLHA will be making monthly donations to Dr. Tasko for the stuttering support group.
• Study sessions will be every Monday in the CHHS atrium at 4:15PM.
• Bake Sale: Thursday, February 11th from 11-3 at CHHS and the clinic. Contact Allison Bacso if you are interested in helping with the bake sale.
• Bingo at the blind rehabilitation center occurs once a month. We would love to send 2 volunteers each time. Contact Chandler Hodgkin for more information.
• Interested in becoming a national NSSLHA member? The link to sign up is http://www.asha.org/members/nsslha/ and membership will cost $60. Benefits of becoming a member include access to ASHA publications, scholarships, and a discount on ASHA membership.
• Michigan Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Conference: April 21-23. The link to attend as a volunteer is http://www.viethconsulting.com/members/evr/reg_event.php?orgcode=MSHA&evid=13259601. We will hopefully be pairing with Calvin or GVSU to host a fundraiser at a restaurant in Grand Rapids.
• BANQUET! Either April 1st, 2nd, 8th, or 9th. Stay tuned! Will take place in the BHC ballroom. Committee options for the banquet are: fundraising, set up/decorations, games/activities, and cleanup. Contact Jacqueline Schmitt or Elise Harrigan if you are interested and able to help out. All of the money raised will be donated to bringing the documentary, “The Way We Talk” to Kalamazoo (possibly the Alamo), sending children who stutter to camp shout out, and donating to the stuttering support group.
|Posted by [email protected] on December 6, 2015 at 10:40 PM||comments (0)|
Wednesday, December 9th from 5-8
• Fundraiser at Blaze pizza to raise money for Cleftline Bears. Please bring the flyer with you so that a portion of the proceeds will go to our organization. Contact [email protected] with questions.
Beginning in January
• Mentoring program! If you would like to sign up to be a mentor or mentee contact [email protected]
• Our first meeting next semester will be on January 24th @8PM
• Study Sessions will be Tuesday @ 5PM • Stay tuned for updates on the spring banquet ☺
• First Wednesday of every month is a bingo night at the Blind Rehabilitation Center off of Oakland Drive. We will be looking for volunteers for this, more information to come.
• Volunteer opportunity at the Kalamazoo Drop-in Center! They need help reading to the kids there every Wednesday. This center is looking for volunteers who can commit to going weekly or bi-weekly.
January 23rd from 9-5
• Cleveland State University, $15, all information about working in the medical field as an SLP.
|Posted by [email protected] on December 6, 2015 at 10:40 PM||comments (0)|
• We raised $120 at our last bake sale! A huge thank you to everyone who helped by baking and volunteering their time.
• Executive board opening! Our volunteer chair position will be open beginning next semester. Email a paragraph about why you’re interested and what you can bring to our organization by December 1st to [email protected]
• Blaze Pizza Fundraiser: The tentative date is set for December 9th
• Michigan Speech Hearing Association conference in Grand Rapids, April 21-23 -Looking for people who are willing to attend or volunteer. We would like to have a big presence at the conference this year!
• High school visits coming this spring. Help us spread the words about our profession and promote WMU!
• Kalamazoo Drop-in Center: Stay tuned for a great volunteer opportunity next semester.
• Mentoring program: New starting in January, we will be matching 1st year and pre-speech students who are interested with a 2nd year mentor. Contact [email protected] with questions.
• Study Session cancelled on November, 23rd.
• Next meeting will be December 6th at 8PM in the BHC! There will be snacks and study time.
|Posted by [email protected] on October 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Minutes 10/18/15
• Guest presenter: Applied Behavior Analysis, Lilith Reuter-Yuill
-Opportunities to get involved with a new research lab.
-First meeting will be 10/19/15 from 11-12 in room 2704 of Wood Hall
-Contact [email protected] for more information
• Graduate student panel
• Changes to the by-laws: Events are now worth 5 points and goRSO was updated to Experience WMU
• Apparel order forms will be coming out this week, stay tuned!
• Campus classic is this Saturday, money is due Thursday. Contact [email protected] if you are interested in participating.
• Health Literacy day is October 28th and the time is TBD. We did not have any volunteers sign up for this event at the meeting; please email [email protected] if you are available to help out on that day.
• The next Bake Sale is November 5th in the CHHS atrium and the clinic
• Game Night with the Autism Services Center on November 13th from 5-7PM
• Turn in $5 dues ASAP to Brianna Dragomer
• Phonetics charts are for sale for $3
• Stop by the homecoming breakfast of champions, this Tuesday from 9-11AM at CHHS
• Welcome the newest member of our executive board, Alexandra Woodburne!
• Our next meeting will be November 15th at 8PM in the BHC
|Posted by [email protected] on September 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM||comments (0)|
• Welcome/Overview of points: 3 points for attending study sessions, 5 points for attending meetings and 5 points for attending events. 15 points are required per semester.
• $5 must be paid for dues each semester. This can be turned in at the next meeting or given to Brianna Dragomer. She can be reached at, [email protected]
• Events list:
1. October 3rd:AACORN Farms event! Volunteer shifts will be from 3-6 and 6-8:30. We are still looking for more volunteers in each time slot.
2. Study Sessions will be every Monday (starting 9/20) at 5:30PM in the CHHS atrium
3. Van Riper Lectures will be on Friday, October 16th! In addition to attending the lectures, we have filled all of the volunteer shifts. As a reminder, the shifts are from 7:30-8:15, 9:45-10:30 and 2:45-3:15
4. The next NSSLHA meeting will take place on October 18th at 8PM. Location TBD
5. Campus Classic 5K will be October 24th. The group will meet at 8:45AM, contact [email protected] for more information!
6. October 28th is health literacy day! Attend our next meeting to learn more.
7. Our first bake sale will be November 2nd from 11-3. The sign-up sheet will be released at the next meeting.
8. Stay tuned for order forms for NSSLHA swag.
9. Attend the next meeting for more volunteer opportunities!
|Posted by [email protected] on April 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM||comments (0)|
• Virtual advocacy day April 21st
B. Have two laptops set to http://takeaction.asha.org/action
• AACORN Farm fundraiser at Applebee’s April 22nd (There will be baby goats in the parking lot)
• Walk for Better Hearing 5/19 with Psi Iota Xi
• Involvement Zone?
A. A few nights a week from June 3-29
• Leadership and Involvement Conference 8/21-8/22
• Speed RSOing event during Fall Welcome
• Bronco Bash 9/11
• Visit 1st year and pre speech classes
• Virtual advocacy day
• Chapter recertification by October 31st
• Van Riper Lectures
• Health literacy day
• 5K campus classic
• Halloween bake sale
• Kalamazoo county project
• Michigan Autism Conference (Oct 7-9th)
• Colorado Springs for ASHA conference.
A. Opportunity for volunteer hours
• Bowling for books
• Psi Iota Xi mixer
• Our next meeting will take place during the first few weeks of the fall semester.
|Posted by [email protected] on April 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM||comments (0)|
NSSLHA Meeting 4.12.15 Minutes
Thank you to all who were involved and attended our Spring Banquet on Friday! The banquet was a huge success as we raised $1,008 dollars to donate to AACORN Farms. We appreciate your support and hope everyone had a wonderful time!
I am pleased to announce the 2015- 2016 NSSLHA Executive Board! Congratulations to all of our new e-board members! We are excited to see NSSLHA grow and continue to serve those in the speech and hearing community!
Graduate Liaison- Jill Wallcott President- Anna Poggensee Vice President- Justin Gripentrog Secretary- Autumn Kearney Treasurer- Brianna Dragomer Historian- Ashley Crossman Public Relations Chair- Amber Huver Fundraising C0-Chair- Allsion Bacso and Emily Firmiss Volunteer Chair- Anna Hedges Event Co-Chairs- Elise Harrigan and Jacuqline Schmitt Scholarship Chair- Leigha Boogaard
Upcoming events: Tuesday, April 14, 2015- Scoops For Smiles 5-8pm Coldstone Creamery off West Main Come out to get ice cream and help send a young boy to Camp Shout Out! Thursday, April 16
Bake Sale- CHHS AND Clinic All proceeds will be going to Bay Cliif Health Camp in the Upper Peninsula, a camp specifically for children with disabilities. *Still looking for volunteers or bakers! Feel free to contact [email protected] if interested!
Once again, thank you so much to all of our NSSLHA members for such a successful and fun year! We look forward to seeing what is in store for the future of the WMU NSSLHA chapter! I hope everyone has a great rest of the semester and good luck on finals!